LIST OF MEMBERS
Cashmere and Camel Hair Council
Superfine Wool Council
Fine Animal Hair Facts
Fiber Box Fiber Identification Tool
Can You Choose the TRUE Cashmere?
Fine Animal Hair Testing Labs
Definition of Fine and Superfine Wool
Wool Testing Labs
Definition of Cashmere
Presenting the Superfine Wool Council
How Retailers Can Protect Themselves
Retailers need to be aware of the problem of mislabeled cashmere and be more cautious about what they order and from whom.
Retailers must also take more responsibility to assure that the merchandise they purchase is in fact what the manufacturer claims it to be.
Here are some ways retailers can protect themselves:
- Work with reliable suppliers.
- Find out the labeling requirements of your country and ensure that your suppliers meet these. For the United States, information is available by searching for “cashmere” on the Federal Trade Commission website, www.ftc.gov
- Obtain information about where the fabric was manufactured and the source of the yarn and fiber.
- Obtain reports of fiber content from suppliers.
- Ask all fabric mills and finished good manufacturers supplying piece goods and/or finished goods containing cashmere, camel hair or other specialty wool fibers to provide fiber or fabric analysis test reports.
- Fiber tests should be performed by an approved laboratory (see Testing Labs).
- Tell each supplier that fiber and fabric analysis test reports should indicate that your retail outlet is the end user and the season for which it is being purchased.
- Tests should be made for each yarn delivery and fabric lot production run.
- Regularly test goods to verify supplier information.
- Before taking delivery
- After delivery: take random samples from each color and SKU.
- Ensure that the labeling of merchandise meets all legal requirements.
- This includes sewn-in labels and hang tags.
- Fiber content should be stated precisely in the order of predominance.
- Deceptive use of the word “cashmere” on tags, labels, signage or any promotional material is against the law.
- Be wary of bargains! Genuine cashmere will be expensive.